Start Learning Italian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Cinema italiano!

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » October 25th, 2008 1:19 am

thank you for such a detailed responce about il numero 17! In the US, it seems most (myself included) people do not understand the significance of the number 13, but many are simply conditioned to disfavour it. Many believe it represents the 13th attendee at the Last Supper, namely Judas Iscariot the betrayer of Jesus. Oddly enough, Japanese and more predominantly Chinese culture is emphatically opposed to the number 4, since its pronounciation bears a strong resemblance to (you guessed it) death ("shi").
I agree that Maya Sansa was terrific in "Buongiorno, notte".
Even though few remakes exceed the original, I enjoyed "Welcome to Collinwood" in part due to its faithful tributes to the many classic scenes of "I soliti ignoti", including George Clooney in Toto's role as the veteran safecracker, and William H. Macy in Mastroianni's role in the rooftop scene, a small part of which is shown in the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBWjNtMU2PI
My favourite contemporary film is still Tornatore's "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso", with its nostalgic look at il cinema italiano. Am I the only one who has seen this? Sciocchezze! Oddly, I prefer the shorter "US" version because it isn't quite as dark as the director's cut/original, but both are superb, IMHO.

cinziag
Been Around a Bit

Postby cinziag » October 28th, 2008 10:14 am

8)
That trailer is cool! I am definitely gonna watch the movie!!

:wink:

And ... NO! you're not the only one who saw NUOVO CINEMA PARADISO!!
I LLLLOOVE IT! :oops:

But... what about SALVATORES??
I think he's a genius!!! :shock:
Among his masterpieces I'd say that MEDITERRANEO, NIRVANA, and DENTI are the best!
the top 3!!!!

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=uk-xzfMjN ... re=related

check this out!
It's a blast!

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=ATW6sDVbiMM
Denti is simply crazy!!! (Rubini is one my favourite actors!)

Enjoy! :wink:

AWW! and obviously thank you for the explanation! (even the one about the number 4 in the Asian culture! :shock: )

Ciaoo!!
C!

Get 40% OFF
juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » November 1st, 2008 2:24 am

I had never heard of Gabriele Salvatores before, but his cyber-punk "Nirvana" looks pretty cool (kinda like "Blade Runner" and "The Matrix", huh?). I always prefer sottitoli over English dubbing, perhaps because our subtitlers are not quite so gifted as those in Italian dubbing studios. I will have to search for a non-dubbed version.
I'm glad to know that you saw & loved "Paradiso" - Tornatore is one of my favourite directors, along with Antonioni and to some degree Fellini. Have you seen "La Sconosciuta"?
a presto!

Serie A Game Day 9 (29/10/2008): Juventus 2 Bologna 1

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » November 4th, 2008 3:11 am

Madon'! One of my all-time favourite movies is "il buono, il brutto, il cattivo" con Clint Eastwood & Lee Van Cleef! il soundtrack di Ennio Morricone c'e incredibile! And of course (regressing as before), he quite often does the soundtracks for Tornatore's films, including the oft-mentioned "Paradiso".

marcom
Established Presence

Postby marcom » November 4th, 2008 7:45 am

You guys are "breaking down an open door", state "sfondando una porta aperta".
Meaning you have a Spaghetti Western fan here!

Morricone's stuff is just poetry.

Here's a line from a movie, let's see who can guess the title.
And please excuse the "bad" words

Non sempre chi ti mette nella merda lo fa per farti del male e non sempre chi ti tira fuori dalla merda lo fa per farti del bene. Ma soprattutto, quando sei nella merda fino al collo, stai zitto

You guys should here me laughing in the office! Everyone thinks I am gone bonkers (not far from the truth anyway)!

Sywen_Ark
New in Town

Postby Sywen_Ark » November 5th, 2008 8:01 am

juv3n7u5 wrote:I always prefer sottitoli over English dubbing, perhaps because our subtitlers are not quite so gifted as those in Italian dubbing studios.

Hi :-)
I prefer Italian or English subtitles too, instead the dubbed version. Unfortunately (or luckily, it depends on the point of view XD) I've never listened to any english-dubbed movie, instead I've heard a lot [a lot] of italian dubbing....
I think that italian dubbers are not so good as many people could think. Well, I'm not saying that they're BAD but just not SO good. ^__^
Especially talking about Japanese anime :evil: (oh gosh, I've forget, here I am at italianpod101 :mrgreen: ) ^__^
Be the change you want to see in the world.

marcom
Established Presence

Postby marcom » November 5th, 2008 8:16 am

I believe that it all depends on how someone has watched a series or movie the first time.
I remember watching Star Trek The Next Generation with original English audio when I was in Kenya.
When I then moved to Italy I watched it in Italian. Man what a difference!
It just didn't feel natural.

On the contrary I watched Quantum Leap dubbed in Italian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantam_Leap
So when I happened to watch an episode in English I was:"What is that horrible voice!"

Anyone else have preferences?

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » November 16th, 2008 4:42 am

marcom wrote:Here's a line from a movie, let's see who can guess the title.
And please excuse the "bad" words

Non sempre chi ti mette nella merda lo fa per farti del male e non sempre chi ti tira fuori dalla merda lo fa per farti del bene. Ma soprattutto, quando sei nella merda fino al collo, stai zitto

:shock: This sounds vaguely familiar - granted, I have never seen a Spaghetti Western in the original language... it's not from one of the Django movies, is it? The answer, please, Marco! :?:

marcom
Established Presence

Postby marcom » November 19th, 2008 3:13 am

The movie is "Il mio nome è nessuno" in English "My Name is Nobody" with musics by Ennio Morricone.
I believe it is a must see, here is the wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Name_Is_Nobody

And here are the English lines of what I previously wrote

Folks that throw dirt on you aren't always trying to hurt you, and folks that pull you out of a jam aren't always trying to help you. But the main point is when you're up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut.

Please note how the English translators decided to replace "merda" with "dirt" and with "jam" in 2 of the 3 times it appears.

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » November 19th, 2008 4:48 am

Grazie mille, Marco - I have not seen this film, but I have listened to the main theme from an Ennio Moriccone soundtrack CD; As a comedy and a spoof of the spaghetti western genre by the man who established the genre (Leone), this one sounds too good to miss. Unfortunately, it appears that only the English-dubbed version is available here. :(

se80
New in Town

Postby se80 » October 8th, 2009 7:02 pm

ambrogio wrote:Where can one find these movies? I live in the U.S.

I think Netflix has many. I can check that with an American friend, if you want.

se80
New in Town

Postby se80 » October 8th, 2009 7:21 pm

My fave directors are Ozpetek and Salvatores. Pretty much all of their movies are favorites of mine. :oops:

I can't believe nobody mentioned "L'ultimo bacio" by Muccino with Vittoria Mezzogiorno and Stefano Accorsi. Please ignore the American remake. That one sucks!

Other random movies I love:
Romanzo criminale
Mio fratello è figlio unico
El Alamein
i 100 passi
Almost blue - loved the novel, liked very much the movie
La bestia nel cuore
But guys, if you're looking for light and fluffy, you'd better off avoiding these movies.

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » October 21st, 2009 2:25 am

se80 wrote:Other random movies I love:
Romanzo criminale
Mio fratello è figlio unico
El Alamein
i 100 passi
Almost blue - loved the novel, liked very much the movie
La bestia nel cuore

"Romanzo Criminale": Agreed, quite a good film; particularly liked the soundtrack;
"Mio fratello è figlio unico": Liked this one as well; Diane Fleri is amazing;
"Almost Blue" (Quasi Blu): Pretty cool movie; enjoyed seeing glimpses of Bologna;
the others i will have to search for; thanks for the insight;

AlesandraVillela_81106
New in Town

Re: Cinema italiano!

Postby AlesandraVillela_81106 » November 24th, 2014 8:13 am

Adoro i vecchi film italiani! :) e il film "Innamorato pazzo" il mio preferito. http://italiafilm01.com/Search/Innamorato%20pazzo

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Italian”