a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

intro & question

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

intro & question

Postby juv3n7u5 » October 18th, 2008 6:27 am

ciao Cinzia, Marco e tutti,
first i would like to say that i very much enjoy your podcasts, especially the humourous interactions between the two of you in between the lessons. i don't know if i enjoy the lessons more, or the playful commentary! i often listen to the podcast whilst working, but often i am forced to stop due to the silly grin on my face after Cinzia or Marco makes a funny comment...
in my work i interact primarily via e-mail with Italian staff in our Bologna office, and although I am clearly non-fluent, i enjoy making lame attempts to engage the staff in discussions about Serie A in Italian (actually more of an Inter fan than Juve, despite the user name).
In my emails, I encountered the expression: "In bocca al lupo", and though I understand its intent, I am curious as to the origins of the expression. by the way, i loved the series on Italian Proverbs, and i hope there will be more episodes to follow!
grazie mille! ci sentiamo più tardi

cinziag
Been Around a Bit

Postby cinziag » October 21st, 2008 4:39 am

Dear juv3n7u5,
ciao! How are you?

I am happy you liked the proverbs series, hope to give you some more lesson cycles like that very soon!

Anyway the origin of IN BOCCA AL LUPO seems to go back up to the rural world, in the language of shepherds and hunters, so, since wolf used to represent a bad threat for them, they used to avoid the bad luck being very superstitious and saying "in bocca al lupo" when hunters would go hunting.

:wink:

Hope it helped!

Ciaoooo!

C!

Get 40% OFF
juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » October 22nd, 2008 4:03 am

ciao Cinzia,
grazie mille for the explanation of "in bocca al lupo"! I guess in a way this is like the English expression "break a leg!", which also means "good luck", although the origin is long since forgotten, davvero?
so now i have learned another well-known (?) proverbo: "ogni scarafone e bello per la sua mamma" this one is hilarious! =P
I believe Cinzia e Marco can have a lot of interesting discussions with this one, eh?
grazie per l'aiuto!

UEFA Champions League Result Game Day 3: Juve 2 Real Madrid 1
Last edited by juv3n7u5 on October 25th, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinziag
Been Around a Bit

Postby cinziag » October 23rd, 2008 6:46 am

ahahah!!!
first of alla!!

FORZA JUVE!!! 8)

And second, thank you so much for your message!
I love the proverb you posted!!
I actually know it very well because it comes from Napoli and it goes:
"Ogni scarrafun' è bell' 'a mamm' soya"
I wish you could hear the sound, 'cause it's very particular!

So glad you are learning from proverbs!

Let me know if you find some other similiraties and correspondants for Italian proverbs or ways of saying...

Grazie mille!!

Ciao!!

C!

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » October 27th, 2008 1:32 am

Oh, I remembered another proverb, this one from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up" (con Monica Bellucci e Clive Owen) as quoted by Monica Bellucci's character:
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre" (taken from the subtitles)
This one is a bit more straightforward.
I know this film was released in Italia, because I saw it on the electronic advertisement boards at the San Siro last season! :wink:

cinziag
Been Around a Bit

Postby cinziag » October 28th, 2008 9:52 am

OH MY GOD!!!!
:shock:

It's the first time I hear this proverb!!
Ahahaha!!! It's great!!! 8)
(do you have a literal translation as a correspondant proverb?)

I still haven't seen the movie, but now I am curious! :wink:

CHEERS!!!!
GRAZIE GRAZIE GRAZIE!!! :oops:

C!

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » October 30th, 2008 2:19 am

In the movie, la bella Monica quotes her mother and translates it as "The eggs have no business dancing with the stones" or something to that effect, in this case meaning that people who live sheltered lives should not mingle with those who live hard lives of consequence. Or more to the point, a newbie shouldn't challenge a professional!
Not a great cinematic piece, this one, but it does provide some mindless, violent fun which may appeal to some.

marcom
Established Presence

Postby marcom » November 4th, 2008 7:36 am

Watched the movie.
Nice action shots, not so interesting story.

Since I am going OT let me add. I have never been in an Italian soccer/football stadium, can you believe it?

How does it feel to be at San Siro?

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » November 5th, 2008 7:12 am

I agree the movie is a bit dull or just ridiculous at times. Both the bad guy and the good guy are annoying at times :? this is a film where we say is a good idea to unplug the brain for a while;
No, I have never been to San Siro - only watched the matches on TV! We get most of the AC, Inter, Juve and Roma matches shown live or same day over in the US; But you, Marco! Never been to a match, eh?? Vergogna!! Non ci posso credere! :D But I would love to go to watch the Milan Derby - granted, things are not the same in Serie A since the unfortunate incident con ispettore Raciti in 2007.
Last edited by juv3n7u5 on October 21st, 2009 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcom
Established Presence

Postby marcom » November 5th, 2008 8:08 am

Perdonami!
Forgive me!

I have always been a soccer/football player, but never had fun watching a match, excluded the World Cup of course.

Yes the death of ispettore Raciti has certainly dampened the mood around soccer events.
Last edited by marcom on December 6th, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » November 12th, 2008 4:19 am

santo cielo, this is off topic, no? as for il calcio, things seem to be almost back to normal, but there will always be some ultras for whom la partita is secondary to their desire to agitate and cause mayhem with the opposing side. i was shocked to learn that fans were allowed to bring in smoke bombs and flares prior to the 2007 season. In USA, we are lucky to sneak in to a Detroit Red Wings game (ice hockey) with a raw octopus to throw onto the ice... :lol:

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Italian”