Start Learning Italian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

love is a whore

acequick
New in Town

love is a whore

Postby acequick » August 9th, 2010 12:59 pm

Anyone know the translation for this? I was thinking l'amore e' una puttana (or prostituta).

Also, the correct translation for I love someone but they don't love me.

suancho
New in Town

Re: love is a whore

Postby suancho » August 16th, 2010 9:01 pm

To be sure, I am not aware of the expression "love is a whore" in Italian. I would however love to try answering your other question which seems a bit more useful than being able to tell someone love is a whore. (Please take my advice with a large grain of salt as I am relatively new to studying Italian).

My understanding of saying you love someone is that there are two types: 1) romantic/passionate and 2) family/friend
I believe the verb used in the first case (romance/passion) is amare i.e. I love you = "Ti amo."
In the second case the expression is volere bene. I tell my son "Ti voglio bene." Or I ask him "Vuoi bene a tua mamma?"

Here's my best guess at saying I love someone but they don't love me (to finally answer your question).

Voglio bene a qualcuna (donna/ragazza), ma lei non mi vuole bene.

This is of course an attempt at direct translation and probably way off.

Thanks for entertaining my novice answer.

Get 40% OFF
acequick
New in Town

love is a whore

Postby acequick » August 17th, 2010 12:02 pm

Well, I'm sure that love is a whore is probably not the most common expression. Kinda came up with it on the spot. Course over the years there have been songs called Ain't love a b***h and other expletives. Basically my view is love is a whore...it'll screw you every time, meaning it usually doesn't last and one person or the other usually gets the short end of the stick...not to throw another expression in there.

Now, to part two. I love someone but they don't love me WAS indeed meant as a romantic/passionate love since we're talking about the love of a spouse/girlfriend who has now lost their feelings. So would this change your response?

suancho
New in Town

Re: love is a whore

Postby suancho » August 17th, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I would say this instead (probably):

"(Io) Amo a una donna che non mi ama." I guess that translates into "I love a woman that doesn't love me."

Hopefully someone with more Italian knowledge than I will chime in soon too.

roma55
Been Around a Bit

Postby roma55 » October 22nd, 2010 6:35 pm

Salve acequick!

This is an interesting one. I think there are expressions in Italian that come directly from American films. In Italy all foreign films are dubbed and translation of expressions such as 'Love is a bitch' are often given literally to add an American flavour to the dialogue. Of course, some of these expressions then pass into everyday language such as possibly this one.

On the subject of unrequited love I'd like to quote from a lovely 1970's song by Giorgio Gaber:

"D'amore non si muore, sara' anche vero - ma quando ci sei dentro, non sai che fare"

Auguri !

roma 55

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Italian”