Start Learning Italian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Ever been to Italy?

sinbadx81
New in Town

Ever been to Italy?

Postby sinbadx81 » February 10th, 2008 1:45 pm

Not much going on here so I thought I'd start a thread. Have you been anywhere in Italy before?

I went once on my honeymoon about a year ago. My wife and I visited Rome, Florence, and Venice. Unfortunately we were trying to cram 3 countries (France, Italy, Spain) and 7 cities into 10 days so we kind of had a speedy tour.

We did manage to see a lot of Rome including the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, the Vatican, among others. We were dead tired from walking everywhere especially since there was a train strike or something and we couldn't get a taxi anywhere. Saw a lot n foot though!

Florence (kind of like saying it Firenze better - rolls off the tongue better) was lovely. The Duomo was beautiful and the view from the top of the towers was breath-taking. Just walking through the streets was a ball.

Finally was a short stop in Venice. Never got a chance to ride in a gondola but did ride a water taxi around the city. Despite that walking through the heart of the city through the maze of walkways was a fun experience

So anyone else have some stories to tell?

Kylie
New in Town

Postby Kylie » February 11th, 2008 7:19 am

Unfortunately no. But I've been thinking about going. People say if you immerse yourself in the language you learn it faster.

Get 40% OFF
Karatened
New in Town

Italy

Postby Karatened » February 27th, 2008 8:51 pm

Now that I have just started to learn Italian, maybe I will make the trip with my family..I am sure my kids would love it! My parents came from Carmonico Terme....about 50 years ago and recently went back for the first time. My dream in life is to go someday....

I went to China last year for a 2 week Martial Arts tour and the bigest regret was that I could not really speak with the nice people...this will not happen to me when I go to Italy!!!

Ciao!

Victoria58
New in Town

Postby Victoria58 » March 1st, 2008 9:32 pm

I went to Italy with my family a few years ago, before I started learning Italian.
We stayed the first night in Naples, then spent 3 days in Praiano and visited the surrounding towns, Positano, Amalfi, etc, and then we spent the last 3 days in Rome.

The Amalfi Coast was lovely, but I enjoyed my time in Rome the best. I'm a big city kind of girl. :P We visited all the traditional tourist spots; the Trevi Fountain, Vatican City, the Spanish Steps, the Coliseum, and all that jazz, and ate in lots of wonderful restaurants.

What's weird is, one of the things I remember most about my trip to Italy is the train service. We travelled by train a lot and they were cheap, fast, always on time, and always completely spotless. I was a little confused about having to stamp your tickets before going on the train, but I soon learned.

The only thing I didn't like was being absolutely feasted on by mosquitos for a week! We don't get a lot of them in Scotland, haha.

honza
New in Town

Postby honza » March 8th, 2008 1:47 am

Went 4 times and still want to come back to explore .First time I went was when I was 6 and Italy left deep happy memories in me.
Food is great, love the wine and people are lovely.

Krista
New in Town

Postby Krista » March 16th, 2008 5:27 am

My husband and I lived in Italy, in the very rural Puglia region, for three years in the 90's. I had my baby girl in an Italian hospital. What an experience! Even young and poor, we LOVED living in Italy, and exploring, as much as we could. We learned to appreciate and love Italian red wine while living in Italy. We rode our bikes to the coast and practiced our Italian with a worker at the local trattoria who wanted to practice his English. We were gone most weekends, on some new (or favorite) excursion. We took a lot of tours, too.

Some very obscure snippets of memories just now came back to me. Nutella, parmalat, and "squiz" mayonnaise in a tube. Woh. The beautiful cobble stone roads and white-washed homes of the coastal town of Ostuni, the trulli houses and wonderful liqueurs of Alberobello, the pottery of Francovilla, the international trade fair in Bari, the beautiful chicken pitchers and other ceramics of Grottaglia, cobbled stone roads in wonderful old towns, outdoor cafes at night (just like in the movies!), beautiful Sorrento inlaid wood art, the old man who found us peering through an iron gate into a very beautiful and very old little secret place of worship nestled into a rocky hill (in a city whose name I cannot recall now), and kindly opened the gate for us, and showed us around, explaining to the best of our language abilities what we were looking at, and afterwards showing us his wonderful handmade bird water whistles (we bought two of course)....Wow...lots of great memories.

Along with traveling as much as we could, trying out local wines and regional dishes, and seeing all the popular sights, we also loved to go off the beaten path and explore on our own. We loved meeting and talking to the locals of whichever town or area we were exploring. We found and explored a wonderful excavation site in Lecce called Rocca Vecchia (sp?) in it's early stages of excavation. I can't wait to see what they've found and learned since then! We explored many keeps and forts and caves just found while driving around in the country. We were shown a small ancient hidden cave in a farmer's field and in sides of hills where christians worshiped secretly. There was still a vague and faded painting of either the Madonna and baby Jesus, and/or the local saint on the wall. I don't remember the exact details, anymore. (We saw a lot of caves and paintings while living in Italy.) We visited ancient crypts beneath gorgeous cathedrals. And nearly always during our travels indulged in one of our many coastal picnics of local wine, breads, olives, and cheeses.

Living in the Puglia region, we didn't get to see much of central or northern Italy. We were younger and poorer then, so the one time we made it to Rome just about everything but the Vatican was closed. But even then, half the famous Cistine Chapel painting was covered in tarp for maintenance. The Academie d'Art (I'm sure I have the name wrong, but one of the well known museums) was closed for repairs because of a recent bombing. We went to Venice once, but were too poor to ride on the gondola. The water taxi was interesting, but it is no gondola with a singing gondolieri. We saw carnevale, not in Venice, but in some obscure town. It was cool, but still not THE Venice Carnevale. We bought some Murano glass, but couldn't afford one of the lovely leather masks.

This time we'll get to remedy/see/do all the things we didn't get to last time. Living in Napoli this time, we'll get to learn all about the Campagnia region.

Those of you who have not been to Italy even once yet, you are going to love it! You must definitely go. There is just so much to see, taste, experience! Please plan to spend a minimum of two weeks, but three or more is even better if you can swing it. It is soooo worth it! :D
Last edited by Krista on April 8th, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenninitaly
New in Town

I love it!

Postby jenninitaly » April 4th, 2008 9:25 am

I have been dating a guy from Italy for 4 months now. I took my first trip to Italy over Easter (he has been flying here to Edinburgh every couple of weeks) and loved it. He lives in Lerici, a town on the Italian Riviera in Liguria. I go back the week after next and cannot wait. I will never forget my first night there in Parma - we ate at just a small and friendly family restaurant - GOD it was so good. I have never tasted pasta so good. The rest of the week was the same..a week of wonderful food, wine and sites. The buildings are beautiful and the people are lovely. I cannot wait to see Venice, Rome, Firenze, and Positano..so many places.

Jennifer

marcom
Established Presence

I hope I can join the discussion

Postby marcom » May 1st, 2008 7:37 am

Being Italian I was afraid of joining this discussion because it was just so nice to see you all exchanging your life experiences that I thought I would ruin it by posting mine.

I am around 99% Italian as I was born in Nairobi (Kenya) and well... don't drink caffè! I hope you will forgive me for these missing traits.

I lived in Nairobi for a better part of my childhood so I got to visit Italy only once a year.

My fondest memories were playing on the beach, all the toys that I could see and most importantly Italian gelato!

Oh and Italian TV! In Kenya we had only one TV channel and it was mostly boring programs, so in Italy I used to avidly watch any program I could.
I used to change channels so fast that I ended damaging a few TVs.

Ciao
Marco

jenninitaly
New in Town

Postby jenninitaly » May 1st, 2008 11:22 am

Hi Marco -

Very interesting to read about your childhood experiences. Is this Marco from the IPod recordings? It sounds like it to me ;) If so, they are terrific! So entertaining yet useful. I have never found learning a language so much fun.

Best regards,

Jennifer

marcom
Established Presence

Postby marcom » May 1st, 2008 2:41 pm

Dear Jennifer,
Yes it is Marco, the current male voice of the podcasts.
I say current because I do not like my voice very much and am sure that I will be able to find a more talented person in the near future.

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate them.

Ciao
Marco

jenninitaly
New in Town

Postby jenninitaly » May 1st, 2008 2:47 pm

marcom wrote:Dear Jennifer,
Yes it is Marco, the current male voice of the podcasts.
I say current because I do not like my voice very much and am sure that I will be able to find a more talented person in the near future.

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate them.

Ciao
Marco

No way! Your voice is fantastic - and the chemistry that occurs between you and the female voice (not even going to attempt to spell her name but I remember it very well as I listen to you both everyday!) is terrific. So although I am sure your business is taking off and requiring much more attention, I still think you should record ;).

Ciao
Jennifer

bendeb
New in Town

Postby bendeb » October 27th, 2008 11:33 am

Hello.
I am late joining this topic but I just wanted to add my bit.
I haven't been to Italy yet but am hoping to go next year.
I did a beginners course in italian last year but I must say I've already learnt much more using the recordings and learning centre here. This is a much more fun way of learning a language. :P

Best regards
Deb

cinziag
Been Around a Bit

Postby cinziag » October 28th, 2008 9:48 am

Ciao Deb!
Benvenuta!
Welcome!!! 8)
We are happy to welcome you into the crazy lounge of IPOD101 forum! :lol:

So you are looking forward to come to Italy!!
I am sure with us you will have fun, and definitely be ready to face any kind of situation if you come to our wonderful country!

:wink:
In bocca al lupo per il tuo studio!!
Good luck with your study!!!

Ciaoo!!

C!

bendeb
New in Town

Postby bendeb » October 31st, 2008 6:34 am

Grazie! :D

juv3n7u5
Been Around a Bit

Postby juv3n7u5 » November 1st, 2008 2:07 am

I spent four working days in Bologna - madon', c'e una citta mozzafiata! Though my days were spent in the factory/office, my early mornings and late evenings were spent exploring il centro storico. The toughest part was the first day, arriving around 09:00 after a 15-hour flight and forcing oneself to stay awake until 23:00 hours so as to adjust to the time change. But it was worth it! Waking up at my normal 05:00, I was able to explore the rustic, beautiful sights in the pre-dawn quiet amongst the street cleaners and delivery vans - no taxis or throngs of studenti on scooters to contend with. Sights like il due torri (Torre Garisenda e Torre degli Asinelli), La Basilca di San Petronio, Piazza Maggiore, La Fontana Nettuno and the kilometres of porticoed walkways are forever etched in my memory. I stayed in a very small hotel near la universita, and was shocked to learn that the front desk politely demanded the room key from the guest whenever they left the hotel. But in the end, I found the desk staff very friendly and courteous - on my last evening, I turned in late after a 3-hour dinner and asked for a wake-up call at 04:00 hours. La ragazza gentile was so concerned that she actually called twice to confirm that I really did wake up! :wink: Definitely want to go back.

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Italian”