Start Learning Italian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

te piace VS ti piace

judenligne1412
New in Town

te piace VS ti piace

Postby judenligne1412 » June 21st, 2010 10:36 am

Hi, I noticed some people write "ti piace" and some write "te piace". What is the difference? Which one is the most correct Italian...?

konchan83
New in Town

Postby konchan83 » July 13th, 2010 8:43 am

Ciao,
the standard Italian, I mean the correct form is "ti piace".
"Te piace" sounds to me like the dialect from Roma. :D

Consuelo

Get 40% OFF
jjdon4453
New in Town

Postby jjdon4453 » October 12th, 2010 7:53 pm

konchan83 wrote:Ciao,
the standard Italian, I mean the correct form is "ti piace".
"Te piace" sounds to me like the dialect from Roma. :D

Consuelo

Since I just had an experience in Italy, I thought I'd pass it on, here. We were having dinner with friends/relatives - Italians - and I said "me piace" about something. He corrected me and said, "No, it's 'A me piace'". I said that later to another friend/relative and she said, yes it's technically true but in the real world everybody says "me piace". These are all native Italians, in Italy. The reason is because Piace/piacere doesn't actually mean "I like" or like or anything of that sort. What it means is, "It is pleasing". So, "A me piace" properly says "To me it is pleasing." Yes, people in Italy run around saying "me piace" every day. It's just a tidbit of technicality, since this is a language site. If you actually said "A me piace" all the time, people would think you just got out of a language school. Interesting, just the same.

roma55
Been Around a Bit

'me piace' non mi piace!

Postby roma55 » October 22nd, 2010 6:26 pm

Salve!

I would suggest you learn only 'mi piace' or ' a me piace' because these are the gramatically correct forms and, as a non native, you need to show respect for the language you are learning.

Personally I have only encountered 'me piace' either in dialect (I am from Rome) or when people imitate stupidity for comedy effect - sort of 'me Tarzan - you Jane ' speak.

Saluti! and Buono studio...

roma55

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Italian”