Start Learning Italian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

masculine/feminine nouns

lisa20007
New in Town

masculine/feminine nouns

Postby lisa20007 » April 18th, 2008 10:32 pm

It would be very helpful if the vocabulary list in the pdf file, gave the gender of each noun as well. when learning the vocabulary, I 'm trying to lern both the word and it's gender at the same time.

Thanks!

Lisa

marcom
Established Presence

Postby marcom » May 1st, 2008 7:53 am

Dear Lisa2007,
During the first lessons we didn't want to insert too much in the vocabulary section, because we didn't want to make it too heavy.

But will start inserting it very soon.

Ciao
Marco

Get 40% OFF
johnnywayfarer
Been Around a Bit

Postby johnnywayfarer » May 21st, 2008 4:21 pm

Dear Lisa,

Thanks for the suggestion. We will add the gender of nouns in the prospective lessons.
This is a piece of advice you could find useful when learning the gender of Italian nouns. Check out the final vowel of the noun in its singular form to figure out its gender; nouns ending with -a- are feminine and nouns ending with -o- are masculine 95% of time. This also means that you’ll be right 95% of time.
The real difficulty regards nouns ending with -e-. In this case it is often necessary to memorize their gender.
However, the best way keep in mind the gender of a noun is to study its singular form associated with the definite article. For example, try to memorize “la casa” (the house) instead of just “casa, feminine noun”. It’s a lot easier.
Finally, when you study new names, try to connect them to your real life. For example, what color is the house you live in? Let’s say white. Yeah, my house is white: la mia casa è bianca.
Use simple structures, even just the verb “to be”.
It is really important that you relate what you study to your real life. Italian is a real language; use it in your real life!
I hope these learning tips will be useful .

Ciao,

Johnny

queenparadox
New in Town

Re: masculine/feminine nouns

Postby queenparadox » March 14th, 2009 3:03 pm

Along the same lines, I'd like to *hear* the singular article with the noun in the vocabulary rundown after the dialogue (this was especially needed in one lesson where you're pointing out the distinct difference btwn words with the same spelling but different articles). Having the articles alongside vocabulary in apps like WordPower would also be helpful for Italian learners.

Grazie tanto,
LIa

lisa20007 wrote:It would be very helpful if the vocabulary list in the pdf file, gave the gender of each noun as well. when learning the vocabulary, I 'm trying to lern both the word and it's gender at the same time.

Thanks!

Lisa

Return to “Technical Support”