Start Learning Italian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Favorite Italian food?

sinbadx81
New in Town

Favorite Italian food?

Postby sinbadx81 » February 14th, 2008 9:49 am

I'm sure there are probably too many to name, but what are among the top?

I'm not sure if any of these are authentic Italian, but I like margherita pizza, penne alla vodka (maybe a fusion dish?), arancini, and foccacia.

nertlespeed
New in Town

Postby nertlespeed » February 21st, 2008 3:00 am

I have to chime in here and say that homemade Italian pasta and meatballs is my favorite dish. Of course, you can't go wrong with just about anything. Outside of that, antipasto is a pretty popular snack in my house!

Get 40% OFF
Victoria58
New in Town

Postby Victoria58 » March 1st, 2008 9:52 pm

I'll eat any kind of pizza or pasta, but my favourites are pizza margherita and pasta with napoletana, arrabiata or carbonara sauce.

Oh, and you can't beat an Italian gelateria for ice-cream. :D

Krista
New in Town

Calamari, Fried Artichoke Hearts, Tiramisu...

Postby Krista » March 16th, 2008 2:18 am

When I lived in Italy before, my favorite food was calamari (squid). The first time I ate it, it totally freaked me out, but I quickly acquired the taste. It became one of my very favorites until I became a vegetarian. :(

In the Puglia region (where I lived before) artichokes were one of the main foods grown. An Italian family who were artichoke farmers and our friends, cooked us fried artichoke hearts, so fried artichoke hearts also became one of my favorite Italian foods.

For dessert, I still love Tiramisu, and this chocolate ice cream with whipped cream dessert I used to buy in the store. It came with a little brown ceramic dish. I don't remember what it was called, though.

I'm moving back to Italy this fall. I'll be living in Napoli this time, so I wonder what my favorite dessert and (vegetarian) food will be while living there. :D

Codexus
New in Town

Postby Codexus » March 29th, 2008 12:10 am

Pizza and all kinds of pasta with tomato sauce as long as it's vegetarian!

jenninitaly
New in Town

Postby jenninitaly » April 6th, 2008 9:08 am

OMG, I just visited Italy for the first time to visit my boyfriend. The food is amazing! I have heard my whole life how wonderful it is and this was confirmed on my visit. His mother and aunt made us some Tiramisu which was lovely and of course we had a lot of pizza and pasta. I have to say my favourite was having the wonderful espresso and cappucino there at all the bars we visited. They are everywhere! I can now see how this place was the inspiration for Starbucks - which doesn't hold a candle in my opinion.

Michele Ferro
New in Town

Postby Michele Ferro » April 18th, 2008 2:50 am

When I go to Rome my first meal is always a panino from the street vendor at the Coliseum. I sit on the wall facing the ruins and eat my panino and drink a Orangina. A perfect begining... Then I move on to the big treats. Linguini con vongole, Calzoni, and pizza! There is a wonderful restaurant on the Via Sardegna just off the Via Venito called "Risoto" that makes the best risoto dishes in Rome.
Also in the Trastavere there is a great little place called Asino Coto which is incredible. And for a real treat near the Pantheon is Il Bacaro on the via degli spagnoli. You can dine outside under a bower of wisteria or eat inside as well. The food there is from heaven!
Then there is gelato! Mama mia! Giolitti. Via Uffici dei Vicario is the best.
For Pizza I recomend Le Montecarlo Pizza Vicolo Saveli 13 just off Vittorio Emanuele II near the Pantheon.

Mangi tutto
Michele

johnnywayfarer
Been Around a Bit

I'm looking for a restaurant...

Postby johnnywayfarer » April 28th, 2008 7:40 pm

What it is really great about Italian food is that it doesn’t exist!
Hehe, I picture your expression now. There is not a single Italian food, there thousands local cuisine traditions that date back to the Beginning of Time (well, maybe that's a bit too much...). Every city, even tiny towns, has their own unique courses. Personally, I prefer costal cities because of my fondness for seafood. ;-)
When you visit Italy, I’d suggest not to go to famous (and often overly expensive) restaurants, but rather look for a “Trattoria”.
“Trattorie” are frequently family-run businesses handed over form one generation to the other, which developed their unique dishes and, trust me, they are worth it!
Now I got hungry, let me get my cozze alla marinara…

I’ll see you around,

Johnny

marcom
Established Presence

Postby marcom » May 1st, 2008 9:14 am

You guys are all making me hungry!
Guess I'll have to stop by my Grandmothers place today and see what's cooking!

Ciao

Sonjajean
New in Town

Postby Sonjajean » July 1st, 2008 10:59 pm

I have a friend from Sicilia that can tell you what part of Sicilia they are from by what ingredients they put in their sauces.
Soo cool. I love eating at her house.
She is also a master pastry chef. I'll have to go Italy to eat a cannoli anywhere else. What she does with chocolate--OMG.

:o

sfocata
New in Town

Postby sfocata » July 30th, 2008 3:55 pm

Osso bucco in Firenze... just about anything in Bologna... coffee just about anywhere!

One of the best meals I ever had in Italy was in the suburbs of Pavía. It was pouring with rain, we desperately needed to eat somewhere, and this was the only place open. As the waiter brought out a huge selection of antipasti, we exchanged those "uh-oh, is this going to be hideously expensive?" looks. In the end, we just went with the flow, and ordered food, wine, grappa... trust in the credit card and put it down to experience. The food was absolutely fantastic.

The bill came... 25 euros for the two of us! And the waiter gave us more grappa for free!

That's what I like about eating out in Italy... you get those little extra touches, random acts of kindness. It's not all about profit.

Come to think of it, the friendliest Italian restaurant I've been to wasn't in Italy. There's a place on Lamb's Conduit Street in London, where the atmosphere is great.

adrian

tamatha204
New in Town

Postby tamatha204 » August 2nd, 2008 2:21 am

I'm Canadian but I make a pretty decent fettuccini alfredo.

My first visit to Italy will be this September. I'll be there for a month. During that time I will visit 6 different regions and experience their cuisine. Yum!!! :) Adrian, I will try your faves in Firenze and Bologna.

The ultimate experience would be to make friends with an Italian whose Nonna cooks up a storm and be invited to dinner :!: :P

Tamatha

cinziag
Been Around a Bit

Postby cinziag » August 4th, 2008 12:32 am

Tamatha, I think that's the best way to enjoy the typical Italian taste....

TO FIND A NONNA!!!! :lol:

Have a nice trip to Italy. What regions will you visit? Are you going to see Campania also?

Cinzia :wink:

tamatha204
New in Town

Postby tamatha204 » August 4th, 2008 1:07 am

Ciao Cinzia,

It's nice to hear from you! I have a very jam-packed itinerary. Vado prima alla Roma per quattro giorni. Then I'm off to Campania. I'm staying in Positano with day trips to Pompeii and Capri. I don't think I'll have time for Naples this trip :( , but I know I'll be back to Italy for another visit.
From there I'm going to Firenze with day trips to Pisa, Sienna, San Gimignano, and a Chianti castle with a vineyard for a tour and tasting!
Then to Emilia-Romagna (a day each in Parma, Modena, and Bologna). Three days in Venezia with a day trip to Murano and Burano.
Next I'll need a few relaxing days at Bellagio, Lago di Como. Then I finish with a bang in Milano.

If I am anywhere near your studio, I'd love to come meet the team of Italian Pod 101!

Tamatha

cinziag
Been Around a Bit

Postby cinziag » August 4th, 2008 6:40 am

Oh my god!!!! Tamatha!!! This itenerary is amazing!!!!

Did you organize it on your own? I am sure that you will have a great time in Positano and Capri.

And actually one of my favourite places in Italy is S. Gimignano!

I hope you will enjoy every single second you will spend in Italy and ... don't miss anything to eat!!! (overall in Campania and Toscana!)

Ciao Ciao! :wink:

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Italian”